Friday, January 11, 2013

Unicorns are real!!!!!

So after you read this you will see where my kids get their ADD from. Thoughts are all over the place this morning so it will be all over the place in this post. :) Today's post is all about Lily. I often describe Lily's personality as a hippie, flower-child who floats through life to her own music. She wants to be a peacock trainer when she grows up and believes unicorns are real for goodness sake. She is also very "self-directed" which does not bode well for her in any group type situations such as gymnastics....ballet......school.....When she was younger and I would ask her to do something she didn't want to do, she would say, "No thank you." How can you argue with such good manners? So anyway, Lily has never really done well at school behavior wise because it goes back to Lily is going to do what Lily wants to do and Lord help whoever tells her otherwise. One of her favorite things is to hiss and growl at her teacher. Her teacher apparently feels as though this is not appropriate behavior. The behavioral therapist at school has tried many different strategies to get Lily to cooperate in the class room and also to quit being so defiant. Each strategy will last about 2 days and then they're back to square one. Long story short, we have gotten Lily into some behavioral therapy at the children's hospital here. So Monday we go to Lily's first appointment which is basically the parents telling the therapist what issues Lily has. So we go through an entire 50 minutes talking with her and telling her about Lily's personality, the uncooperative attitude at school, the hissing, growling, not socializing with other children, etc. The therapist then looks at us and goes, "So what are your goals for Lily and therapy?" I looked at her and wanted to say, "Did you just listen to anything I said to you for the last hour? This kid is HISSING and GROWLING at her teacher! What do you think my goals are?" But I didn't say that. Instead I went on to list the goals that I thought were obvious. Another funny thing is that her teacher sent me an email last Friday about how Lily's behavior has been horrible since returning from Christmas break. She asked me to give Lily a "pep talk" before school in the mornings in an effort to help her have a better day. What kind of pep talk to you give to a hisser and growler? So in talking with my friend the other day, whom we will call K, I was mentioning that I would like to find an alternative type school for ADD children that allowed them to work more at their own pace instead of being forced to keep up with the standard schedule. K says, "they have those." I said, "yes but for juvenile deliquents." She said, "Lily is well on her way." Moral of the story is this: if anyone knows how to get a kid to stop hissing and growling, let me know. :) I was thinking of getting a water bottle and spraying her like you would an animal.....

No comments: